Thursday, April 16, 2009

Goodbye Grandpa

I was out riding this evening after work. The sunset was even more spectacular than usual. After coming off the water, I checked my messages and received word that my grandfather, Carlo, had passed away minutes earlier. We knew it was only a matter of days, but nevertheless the news left me feeling empty.

He turned 98 in Feburary. I took this picture with him at his birthday party in Morgan Hill, CA.

He lived a simple life. He had a cherry orchard. He had a modest home. He always had a woman in his life. First my grandmother Elenore. Then, after she passed, he remarried...my Grandma Rose as we called her growing up. Then, when she passed, he met another companion, Francis, who took care of him with such love and devotion until tonight. He was happy.

I was named after him. And although I only got to see him a few times a year, his presence and his lifestyle and his stories always reminded me that life doesn't have to be so complicated. To be content..to live a simple life...to do what you love and live in a beautiful place...well...that's a good life.

Francis - Thank you for taking care of my grandpa for so many years. Thank you for all the care and all the love.

I hope that I will look back one day and know that I lived a life as fulfilling as yours Grandpa. You were loved by three children, ten grandchildren and four great grandchildren and tonight we all mourn your loss.

Goodbye Grandpa. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment