Dear Catherine,
I wanted to update you regarding the accident Saturday. There’s been new information that I think changes the story quite a bit.
The Canadian, Tim Holman, was an experienced kiter and had experience flying in strong winds. It wasn’t the change in wind speed that caused him trouble. He didn’t leave the shore until after the wind had already increased above 30 mph and rigged a very small kite (6m) knowing that he was dealing with a powerful wind. This was the right thing to do. I would have done the same thing.
According to eye witnesses, Tim was boosting himself very high (which in itself is not dangerous) and on one of these boosts, performed accidentally or not, what is called a kite loop. The kite spins in a circle creating an incredibly powerful pull forward. This is what caused him to lose control. This is a force powerful enough to cause major harm in a collision.
For someone to attempt a kite loop in mid air, they must be extremely experienced. This is a very advanced, arguably extreme, maneuver which I personally have not attempted and have no interest in attempting. Like many sports, there are levels of extremity and what Tim was doing was pretty extreme (certainly in such strong winds) and weighing only 150 lbs.
We can’t blame the weather on this one…although no doubt anytime you kite or surf or any other outdoor sport in a storm, the risk increases. High winds, high seas, lightening, etc. etc.
I hope you find this useful.
Best regards,
Carl
http://hamptonroads.com/2009/04/wind-spike-cited-kiteboarders-nc-falling-death
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Letter to the Virginia Pilot
Labels:
Cape Hatteras,
career change,
kiteboard,
kitesurf,
obx,
REAL Watersports
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete