
George, my dog, is getting the lay of the land after his first week in Cape Hatteras. I adopted him from North Shore Animal League a year and half ago. He's been with me in Manhattan ever since.
It was very cool watching him sniff cautiously as he walked higher and higher up the dunes the first morning we arrived. The scent of the ocean so close, but he could not see it yet. And then to watch him reach the top, eyes squinting as he was blinded by the sunrise. And then a dash down the other side onto the flat sand...and a good 50 yard sprint to the water.
I take him out to the beach at least twice a day. Sometimes he just lays in the sun. Sometimes, as if still in awe of the wide open space at his disposal, he runs in a straight line as fast as he can for a considerable distance and then turns and walks back to me. Then does it again.
I think he's as happy as I am here.

No comments:
Post a Comment